Frequently Asked Questions


What is the One Stop Tax Preparation Course?

Is the beginner tax course, in which you will learn to prepare tax returns like a seasoned professional! It is a great opportunity for you build a new career path with great pay and flexible work hours to meet your lifestyle needs.

Why take the One Stop Tax Preparation Course?

  • Convenient locations around Houston and flexible class schedule
  • No prior tax preparation experience needed
  • Classes are held at One Stop Tax offices near your home or job
  • Skilled Instructors that will teach you the latest in tax preparation
  • Great new career opportunity in a multibillion dollar industry
  • Learning income tax return methods for the general public
  • Student learning materials are provided online with optional hard-copies available
  • Installment payment plan options available

What will I learn from the course?

There is so much you will learn from taking the course!

  • Step-by-step skills on how to prepare a tax return
  • Current tax laws and filing practices
  • Tax theory & how to get clients maximum refunds
  • Communication skills and techniques to build your client base

What topics does the course cover?

  • Filing Requirements
  • Standard Deduction and Exemptions
  • Wages, income and Taxes
  • Interest and Dividend Income
  • Earned Income Credit
  • Adjustments to Income
  • Itemized Deductions
  • Self-Employment Income
  • Education Tax Benefits
  • Capital Gains and Losses
  • Depreciation and Disposition of Business property
  • Rental Property
  • Retirement Contributions
  • Retirement distributions
  • Tax Planning
  • Amended returns and penalties
  • Ethics
  • Practice and Final Exams

What is the teaching methodology for the course?

The course is taught in the following ways;

  • Interactive, professional discussions
  • One-on-one instructor assistance
  • Hands-on experience with the latest tax software
  • Real-world tax preparation exercises

Is the course offered in any other language?

Yes, the course is offered in Spanish at select locations see the website for details.

How much does the class cost?

The One Stop Tax Preparation course is free of charge! Students only make the low investment of $150 to purchase the book and other course materials needed for certification.

Are there any additional costs for books and materials?

You only pay the low rate of $150 that covers everything!! There are no additional costs.

What can I expect from the class?

Expect to learn how to become a world class tax preparer! Course content consists of instruction from a knowledgeable instructor, online training, and software practice sessions. Because we want you to be the best trained professional there will be discussions, homework assignments, and a final exam.

What skills do I need to take the class?

Basic computer skills desired, so if you have some experience with computers that is all you need.

How often does the class meet?

Classes meet twice a week for a 3-hour session weekdays, & weekends for a 6-hour session. Class schedules can vary by location so please select the class you would like to attend for details or call our corporate office.

When do classes start?

Classes begin mid-September through November. Specific dates and times will be listed with the class you choose to attend.

What happens if I miss a class?

Classes are held during the day, evenings and weekends. If you miss your regular class, you may be able to take another class at a different time.

What are the class attendance and absence policies?

Our attendance requirements are that participants cannot miss more than 6 hours. Upon return the student shall be provided an opportunity to make up work missed during class absences. Class attendance requirement varies based on the location where the class is held.

May I enroll after the classes have already begun?

Yes you can! the enrollment is allowed up to and including the first week of class.

What if I want to learn about a specific area of tax preparation?

This particular course covers basic tax preparation giving you the education needed to prepare tax returns. Seasoned professionals can take advanced classes that focus on areas of special interest.

Do I get credit for previous education or training?

No, One Stop Tax Preparation course doesn’t offer credit for previous education or training.

Do I need a college degree?

A college degree is not required. You must be a high school graduate or equivalent with basic computer skills.

What if I'm under 18 and want to take the course?

You must be at least 18 years of age to take the course. Upon graduating will I receive any certification? One Stop Tax Certification will be given to all of our graduates.

What if the class times don’t meet my schedule?

We have different locations with various class dates and times to accommodate our students. We have weekday, evening, & weekend class options. The class schedules are designed for people with busy schedules and other commitments.

Which ITINs will expire January 1, 2017?

The following ITINs will expire January 1, 2017:

  • ITINs with middle digits of 78 and 79 (e.g. 9XX-78-XXXX). The IRS will send Letter 5821 to taxpayers with these expiring ITINs.
  • ITINs that have not been used on a tax return for Tax Year 2013, Tax Year 2014, or Tax Year 2015

Which ITINs will NOT expire January 1, 2017?

Any ITIN that does not have a middle digit of 78 or 79 and was used on a tax return for Tax Year 2013, Tax Year 2014, or Tax Year 2015 will not expire January 1, 2017.

What should I do if my ITIN is expiring January 1, 2017?

You will need to renew your ITIN if you will be filing a tax return or claim for refund after the ITIN expires and you will be using the expiring ITIN on that tax return or claim for refund. You should not renew an ITIN if the ITIN holder now has or is qualified to get a social security number (SSN).

When may I renew my ITIN that will expire January 1, 2017?

Beginning October 1, 2016, taxpayers whose ITIN will expire on January 1, 2017 can begin the renewal process.

How do I renew an expiring ITIN?

To renew an expiring ITIN, you must submit a completed Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, and all required identification documents to the IRS. No tax return is required for a renewal application. Visit for a location near you and schedule an appointment.

Can I submit copies of my identification documents with my Form W-7?

No, only original of identification documents or certified copies of the documents from the issuing agency will be accepted.

Do I need to renew my ITIN if I won’t be filing a tax return or claim for refund?

No, however, in the future if you file a U.S. tax return or claim for refund, the ITIN (including for a dependent) will need to be renewed at that time.

I only use my ITIN on information returns, like Forms 1099. If my ITIN is expiring, do I need to renew it?

No, if your ITIN is only used on information returns and you will not be filing a tax return or claim for refund you do not need to renew your ITIN.

If I have an ITIN with middle digits of 78 and 79, can I renew my family member’s ITIN, even if it is not expiring?

Yes, the IRS will accept a Form W-7 renewal application from each member of a family if at least one of the family members listed on a tax return has middle digits of 78 or 79. If one family member has middle digits 78 or 79, all family members who were issued an ITIN may submit a Form W-7 at the same time.

Can I renew my ITIN even though my ITIN is not expiring, and no one in my family has an ITIN that is expiring?

Because your ITIN is not expiring and there are no tax implications at this time, we ask that you wait and renew your ITIN when it is scheduled to be expired. Only ITINs that are scheduled to expire at the end of the year and need to be included on a U.S. tax return in 2017 should be renewed now.

When will the updated Form W-7 and instructions, which includes the renewal information, be available?

We expect the updated Form W-7 and instructions will be available September 2016.

How long does it take?

You will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within seven weeks if you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete.

Who can I call for help?

You can call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States. This service allows you to check the status of your application seven weeks after submitting Form W-7 and your tax return.

I have a Social Security Number (SSN) and no longer need my ITIN that will be expiring. Do I need to renew my ITIN?

No, you should not renew your ITIN if you have or are eligible for an SSN. Please notify the IRS that you have obtained a SSN and no longer need the ITIN by visiting a local IRS office or visit one of our offices and one of our client specialist will help you write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.

What needs to be included in the letter?

To be included in the letter is your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available. The IRS will void the ITIN so it cannot be used by anyone in the future and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.

What kind of passport is acceptable for dependents as a stand-alone identification document?

Effective October 1, 2016, only a passport with an entry date into the US will be acceptable as a stand-alone identification document for dependents from countries other than Canada or Mexico or dependents of military members overseas. Affected applicants will now be required to submit either U.S. medical records for dependents under age 6 or U.S. school records for dependents under age 18, along with the passport. Dependents aged 18 and over can submit a rental or bank statement or a utility bill listing the applicant’s name and U.S. address, along with their passport.

What happens if I file a tax return prior to receiving notification that my expired ITIN has been renewed?

Until the ITIN is renewed, a return with an expired ITIN will be processed and treated as timely filed, but it will be processed without any exemptions and/or credits claimed and no refund will be paid at this time. The taxpayer will receive a notice from the IRS explaining the delay in any refund and that the ITIN must be renewed. Once the ITIN is renewed, any exemptions and credits will be processed and any allowed refund will be paid. If the ITIN is not renewed, the taxpayer may be subject to interest and penalties for any tax owed as a result of disallowed exemptions and credits.

How can I get started to renew my ITIN

Visit or call 1-855-408-2937 and we can help you renew your ITIN.

¿Qué ITINs expiran el 1 de enero del 2017?

Los siguientes ITINs expiran el 1 de enero del 2017

  • Los ITINs con dígitos medios de 78 y 79 (por ejemplo 9XX-78-XXXX). El IRS les enviará la Carta 5821 a los contribuyentes con estos ITINs que expiran.
  • Los ITINs que no han sido utilizados en una declaración de impuestos de los año tributario 2013, Año Fiscal 2014, o el Año Fiscal 2015

¿Qué ITINs NO expiran el 1 de enero del 2017?

Cualquier ITIN que no tiene un dígito medio de 78 o 79 y se utilizó en una declaración de impuestos para el año tributario 2013, Año Fiscal 2014, o el Año Fiscal 2015 no expirara el 1 de enero del 2017.

¿Qué debo hacer si mi ITIN se vence el 1° de enero del 2017?

Usted tendrá que renovar su ITIN si va a presentar una declaración de impuestos o solicitud de reembolso después de que el ITIN expira y que va a utilizar el ITIN que expirará en la declaración de impuestos o solicitud de reembolso. No se debe renovar un ITIN si el titular tiene ahora ITIN o está calificado para obtener un número de seguro social (SSN).

¿Cuándo puedo renovar mi ITIN que expira el 1 de enero del 2017?

A partir del 1 de octubre del 2016, los contribuyentes cuyo ITIN expirará el 1 de enero del 2017 puedan comenzar el proceso de renovación.

¿Cómo renuevo un ITIN que expirara?

Para renovar un ITIN que expira, debe presentar la Forma W-7, Solicitud para IRS Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente, y todos los documentos de identificación requeridos al IRS. No se requiere declaración de impuestos para una solicitud de renovación.

¿Puedo enviar copias de mis documentos de identificación con mi Formulario W-7?

No, sólo se aceptará el original de los documentos de identificación o copias certificadas de los documentos de la agencia emisora.

Si no voy a presentar una declaración de impuestos ni reclamar un reembolso, ¿tengo que reactivar mi ITIN?

No, sin embargo, en el futuro si usted presenta una declaración de impuestos en los EE.UU. o solicitud de reembolso, tendrá que ser renovada en ese momento el ITIN (incluyendo para un dependiente).

Yo sólo uso mi ITIN en las declaraciones de información, como la forma 1099. Si mi ITIN está expirando, ¿es necesario renovarlo?

No, si su número de identificación fiscal individual sólo se utiliza en las declaraciones informativas y no se va a presentar una declaración de impuestos o solicitud de reembolso, que no es necesario renovar su ITIN.

Si tengo un ITIN con cifras medias de 78 y 79 años, puedo renovar el ITIN de mi familiar, ¿incluso si no está expirando?

Sí, el IRS aceptará una solicitud de renovación de la Forma W-7 de cada miembro de una familia si al menos uno de los miembros de la familia que aparecen en una declaración de impuestos tiene los dígitos medios de 78 o 79. Si un miembro de la familia tiene dígitos medios 78 o 79, todos los miembros de la familia que emitieron un ITIN pueden presentar la Forma W-7 al mismo tiempo.

¿Puedo renovar mi ITIN aunque mi ITIN no está expirando, y nadie en mi familia tiene un ITIN que está a punto de expirar?

Debido a que su ITIN no está expirando y no hay consecuencias fiscales en este momento, le pedimos que espere y renueve su ITIN cuando este programado para ser vencido. Sólo los ITINs que están programados para expirar a finales de año y que necesitan ser incluidos en una declaración de impuestos de EE.UU. del 2017 deben ser renovados ahora.

¿Cuándo se actualiza el Formulario W-7 y las instrucciones, que incluye la información de renovación, estará disponible?

Esperamos que la actualización del Formulario W-7 y las instrucciones estará disponible en Septiembre del 2016.

Tengo un número de seguro social (SSN) y no necesito mi ITIN que se va a vencer. ¿Necesito renovar mi ITIN?

No, no se debe renovar su ITIN si tiene o es elegible para obtener un SSN. Por favor notificar al IRS que usted ha obtenido un SSN y ya no necesita el ITIN visitando una oficina local del IRS o visite una de nuestras oficinas y uno de nuestros especialistas al cliente le ayudará a escribir una carta explicando que ahora se le ha asignado un número de seguro social y quiere que sus registros de impuestos sean combinados.

¿Qué tiene que incluir en la carta?

Lo que tiene que incluir en la carta es su nombre completo, dirección de correo, e ITIN junto con una copia de su tarjeta de seguro social y una copia de la CP 565, Aviso de Asignación ITIN, si está disponible. El IRS anulará el ITIN por lo que no puede ser utilizado por cualquier persona en el futuro y asociar toda la información tributaria anterior presentada bajo el ITIN con el SSN.

¿Qué tipo de pasaporte es aceptable para los dependientes como un documento de identificación independiente?

A partir del 1 de octubre del 2016, solamente un pasaporte con fecha de entrada a los EE. UU. será aceptable como un documento de identificación independiente para los dependientes de países distintos a Canadá o México o personas a cargo de los miembros militares en el extranjero.

A continuación, se pide a los solicitantes afectados a presentar cualquiera de los registros médicos de Estados Unidos para dependientes menores de 6 años o registros escolares de Estados Unidos para los dependientes menores de 18 años, junto con el pasaporte. Los dependientes mayores de 18 años pueden presentar un estado de alquiler o banco o una factura de servicios públicos listando el nombre del solicitante y la dirección de Estados Unidos junto con su pasaporte.

¿Qué pasa si presento una declaración de impuestos antes de recibir la notificación de que mi ITIN espirado se ha renovado?

Hasta que se renueve el ITIN, un retorno con un ITIN expirado será procesado y tratado como presentado a tiempo, pero va a ser procesado sin ninguna excepción y / o créditos reclamados y ningún reembolso será pagado en este momento.

El contribuyente recibirá una notificación del IRS que explica el retraso en el reembolso y que el ITIN debe ser renovado. Una vez que se renueva el ITIN, todas las exenciones y créditos serán procesados y serán pagados ningún reembolso permitido. Si el ITIN no se renueva, el contribuyente puede estar sujeto a intereses y multas de cualquier impuesto adeudado como resultado de las excepciones y créditos no permitidos.